Brown Banana-Flax Muffins
Makes approximately 24 muffins
3 brown bananas, removed and thawed from freezer
½ cup canola oil
¾ cup sugar
2 omega-3 enhanced eggs
1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup milled flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin pan with baking cup liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil together. Add eggs and squeeze bananas out of skin into mixing bowl; they should easily slide out of the skin and somewhat liquid feeling. This will depend on how ripe the banana was before you froze it. Beat well.
- Combine flour, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to banana mixture and blend until all flour mixture is mixed in well.
- Add vanilla and milk, mix until incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Do not overbake.
Dietitians Tip: I always have brown bananas at the end of the week and toss them in my freezer; I take six out and place them in a Tupperware to thaw for about an hour before making these muffins. I make a double batch and freeze them in gallon size zip lock freezer bags. Easy to thaw and eat on the go. Using flax seeds and Omega-3 eggs increases the Omega-3 content of these muffins.