1 Flank steak
Marinade: 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup cooking sherry
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 heaping tablespoons minced ginger
3 to 5 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
Topping: Toasted sesame seeds and green onions
- Combine all marinade ingredients into a large gallon zip-lock freezer bag. Unwrap and place flank steak into marinade. Place in refrigerator for 4-24 hours.
- Pre-heat grill to medium high heat, and set flank steak onto plate.
- Place flank steak onto the grill and cook without touching for about 6 to 7 minutes. Use a marinade brush, rub meat with marinade a few times. Flip and cook for 6-7 more minutes, brush with marinade again. This will cook the meat to a medium rare steak. If you like it more done then cook longer, however the meat can become tough if cooked too long.
- Remove the meat to a cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. When you’re ready, thinly slice the meat against the grain. That means find the directional striations/lines in the meat grain and slice perpendicular to it.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
Controversial Optional Sauce: Before grilling the flank steak, strain the marinade into a small saucepan. Discard what stays in the sieve. Add ½ cup of water to the marinade. Boil the marinade while heating the grill for the meat AND add an additional 10 minutes. The point of boiling, obviously, is to take away any risk of bacteria from the marinade. Also, by boiling for ten to fifteen minutes, the sauce will reduce and slightly thicken. Then just spoon a little into a dish and use it as a dipping sauce for the meat.