Shrimp and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Makes 6-8 servings.
1 lb. raw shrimp, deveined and chopped into ½ inch pieces
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 -1 cup pizza sauce
½ cup parmesan cheese
4-5 fresh basil leaves, slivered
¾ shredded mozzarella cheese
3-4 whole colored peppers, sliced length wise and stems/seeds removed
- Cook Quinoa as directed on package, set aside in medium mixing bowl.
- In a medium size skillet, sauté onions and garlic on medium-high heat in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes and stir while cooking. Shrimp will not be cooked all the way.
- Mix shrimp, pizza sauce, parmesan cheese and basil into the quinoa mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill each side of the peppers with ~ 1 cup of quinoa mixture and set with quinoa side up into the baking pan, top with 2 Tbsp. of mozzarella cheese per pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes until cheese is slightly brown and peppers are soft but still slightly firm. Enjoy!
Jessica A. Wegener RD, CSSD, LMNT│ Positive Nutrition of Omaha │www.pnomaha.com