Spring Vegetable Quinoa Soup
Serves 4 (serving size: about 2 cups soup and about 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large leek, trimmed and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 celery stalk, diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 pound very small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup (1 1/2-inch) slices asparagus
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed and drained or 1 cup cooked chicken breast.
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 cup un-cooked quinoa
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add carrots, leek, and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add stock; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add potatoes; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
- Cook quinoa in chicken broth in separate pot, according to package directions.
- Add peas, asparagus, and beans; simmer 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add spinach, thyme, and basil; cook 1 minute. Add cooked quinoa and chicken.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top evenly with cheese.
**Adapted from the cooking light magazine spring vegetable soup recipe**